Monday, March 23, 2009

Frame Work

CARE is an acronym for "Center for Adolescent Renewal and Education." The CARE School is a catchall for any students unable to continue attending regular secondary school for whatever reason (mental illness, developmental delays, behavioral problems, having a baby, etc.)

This is where, every Monday afternoon, I teach an art lesson to some or all of the 25 students at the Soufriere campus. The students’ motor skills cover a wide range of ability, so I always choose projects that anyone can do but that can also be improved upon and expanded.

I was lucky enough to have two extra helpers for this week’s craft, my mom and younger sister! Mom and Em were here this week for a quick Spring Break visit and made Monday’s craft session one of the best yet.

A few weeks ago I had the students join me on the beach to gather seaglass, pieces of broken bottles and dishes tumbled by the sand creating smooth and colorful little objects, perfect for art projects. With the glass the students collected we decorated photo frames to be sold at this year’s CARE School Nation Exhibition, a day for all the island’s five CARE Schools to display what they’ve been working on during the year. I have no doubt the frames will be a hit, especially due to expert instruction by Julia and Em! Thanks, ladies!


No comments: